6+ ways to work as Digital nomad in France

7 min readJan 22, 2022


By Alicia Marie Salhi, cross-border Immigration Lawyer

Interested in living in France as a Digital Nomad?

If you are planning to go to France for business or to work remotely as your traveling or visiting family for 90 days or less, then the short-stay visa is all you need. However, if you wish to stay in France for a longer period of time, then I do not recommend you overstay your “visitor status” as it could jeopardize your future visa or residence permit applications.

Ready? Let’s explore together different visa options to work as a digital nomad in France.

1. Obtaining the visa Entrepreneur/independent professional (entrepreneur/profession libérale):

What are the requirements? This visa is made for foreign nationals who want to create or participate in a commercial, industrial, artisanal or agricultural activity or exercise a liberal profession in France. Take note: if your company’s activity or your liberal profession is regulated then you must meet certain requirements in terms of qualifications, diplomas as well as any other conditions as specified in the regulation.

List of documents: If you want to create a new company in France, you must be able to demonstrate the economic viability of your project. If you decide to exercise a liberal profession or in an activity that has already been created, you must be able to prove that you have sufficient financial resources equivalent of the minimum legal wage in France for a full-time worker (SMIC). But you are probably wondering how can I prove that to the French authorities? You can show it by submitting a business plan to explain your project (a business plan is personalized and adapted to each case!), a resume, your diplomas and/or certifications in relation to your activity, any invoices of clients, letters of interest from prospects (better if they are based in France), letters of recommendation from clients or employers attesting your qualifications, experience of owning a company, savings. This list is not exhaustive and other evidence should be analyzed on a case by case basis.

Where to apply? The French consulate of your country of residence or nationality.

What type of visa will you be issued? You will receive a long-stay visa equivalent to a residence permit (VLS-TS) with the mention “Entrepreneur/independent professional” (self-employed) for 12 months subject to validation after entering France.

How much does it cost? A fee of 99 € to be paid to the French Consulate, a tax of 200 € to the French Office of Immigration and Integration (Office Français de l’Immigration et de l’Intégration– OFII) at the time of online validation and a fee of 25 € charged on residence permits.

Can I renew it? If you continue to meet the requirements listed above then you might be eligible for a residence permit ‘Entrepreneur/independent professional’ valid for 4 years and at the end of 5 years of legal and uninterrupted residence in France a 10 years residence card and even naturalization.

Important: to register your activity/your company, pay taxes and other social contributions, you should get advice from an expert.

If you are thinking of investing at least €30,000 in the planned business, and you hold a master’s degree or equivalent, or at least five years’ commensurate professional experience, then you should take a look at the Talent Passport ‘new business’ residence permit.

2. Visa passeport talent ‘artistic and cultural occupation’ (profession artistique et culturelle):

For who? Employed or self-employed artists who are able to justify a production or performance of a length of at least three months in France.

List of documents (for self-employed): All documents justifying your activity as an artist or creator of a literary or artistic work, your engagements in France, and your financial capacity.

How to prove that? By showing an income, from at least 51% of the activity, superior or or equal to 1,122.18 € gross per month full-time as of January 1st, 2022. If it comes from your own income then evidence of a grant, financial support from your country of origin, money you receive from rental, retirement for example. If it comes from the artistic or cultural activity realized in France then any contract with a gallery, any order from a potential client interested in buying your art. You may also provide any document showing that you are an artist or an author of literary and artistic works, as well as the nature and duration of your project in France.

What type of visa will you be issued? You will be issued a long-stay visa “passeport talent” marked “profession artistique et culturelle”. But if you plan to stay more than 12 months, you can apply for a multi-year residence permit with a period of validity based on the nature and duration of your activities in France and for a maximum period of 4 years.

How much does it cost? A fee of 99 € to be paid to the French Consulate, a tax of 200 € to the French Office of Immigration and Integration (Office Français de l’Immigration et de l’Intégration– OFII) at the time of online validation and a fee of 25 € charged on residence permits.

3. The European Union Blue Card

If you can show that you have been living in another participant EU country holding an European Union Blue Card then you might be eligible for a residence permit passeport talent — carte bleue européenne if you apply within one month of entering France.

4. Working Holiday Visa

This is perfect for globetrotters! You want to discover the world (and France especially) and earn an income to pay your travel expenses, then you should consider this option.

Conditions: Being a national of Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Colombia, South Korea, Hong Kong, Japan, Mexico, New Zealand, Russia, Taiwan, Uruguay, Peru (since 2021) and soon Ecuador; Never have participated to the Working Holiday Programme; Being between 18 to 30 years (35 years for Australian, Argentinian and Canadian citizens); Not being accompanied by a dependent child; Have a return ticket; Health insurance; And demonstrate sufficient financial resources. Please visit the website of the French consulate of your country of origin for a complete list of documents to provide.

If you have a Working Holiday Visa, you will automatically be granted work authorization, unless you are an Australian or Russian citizen.

Note: due to the global pandemic, most of the Working Holiday Program agreements have been put on hold.

5. Young professional visa (visa jeune professionnel)

This visa is designed for young foreigners who wish to come to France to gain professional experience by being immersed in the French culture.

Conditions: You must be a national of Argentina, Benin, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Canada, Cape Verde, Congo Brazzaville, the USA (through the Franco-American Chamber of Commerce — FACC), Gabon, Georgia, Morocco, Mauritius, Montenegro, New Zealand (agriculture only), Russia, Senegal, Serbia or Tunisia. The young professionals need to be between 18 and 35 years old with an exception for citizens of Benin: the maximum age limit is 40 years old, and citizens of Russia: the maximum age limit is 30 years old. The applicants must hold a degree or have professional experience which correspond to the available position in France.

Normally, the young professionals must reside outside of France but exceptionally, a foreigner holding a “student” resident permit can apply for a change of status without having to leave France.

For specific conditions, please visit the website of the French consulate of your home country.

6. Other options

If you are employed by a multinational company and would like to have a French experience you might be eligible for:

The Talent Passport — Employee on assignment if you have been employed at least three months by the group; You have an employment contract with the subsidiary in France; And you will earn a gross annual salary of at least 34,627.32 € as of January 1, 2022.

Or for the multi-year Intra-company transfer residence permit (Salarié détaché ICT) if you can prove that you have at least six months’ seniority; An employment contract with the home company sending you as a senior manager or expert in France; And that your home company and the host company belong to the same group.

So don’t wait! Build a strategy with an expert and pack your bags, France is waiting for you!

Learn More About Living as a Digital Nomad in Mexico and More

Alicia Marie Salhi is a French citizen and cross border Immigration Lawyer. Admitted to the Paris Bar, though her immigration law experience widely covers the U.S. and Mexico.

Connect with Alicia to inquire more about how to be a Digital Nomad in France or related matters

Check out our Digital Nomad Visa page to discover more destinations!

Explore All You Need to Know About France

This article is part of the Relocate Community. The leading independent platform for Global Migration. Dig deeper into core topics about relocation and connect with qualified Advisors . . . all in one place.

Get Started. Get Going. Transcend Borders.




The first independent marketplace for global migration. Dig-deeper into relocation topics and connect with qualified advisors. www.relocate.world